Mold Allergy

Mold comes from outside and with the right condition continues to grow. The conditions that help them survive in your house include damp areas from leaking or condensation from pipes and food source where they can grow on. They are more commonly seen in wallboard, damp wood, fabrics, leather, and paper products.

Once mold starts growing they form spores and are released into the atmosphere when they are directly disturbed or air current disperses them. The allergic response can occur in two different ways. They can occur by inhaling the spores themselves or from the bad odors which can trigger an allergy.

The best way to avoid mold is to stay away from them. These include:

  • Stay indoors on days when mold counts are high.
  • Keep away from uncut fields and avoid raking leaves.
  • Eliminate mold from your home by fixing leaking faucets and pipes.
  • Reduce the humidity in your home. Be sure your indoor humidity stays below 60 percent.
  • Take a shower after coming indoors.
  • Clean mold off walls using a vinegar solution.

Antihistamines and allergy shots are the mainstay of treatment. Your AAATS Board Certified Allergist is specially trained for treating mold allergies. For further questions or to make an appointment please feel free to contact us.